Most homes appreciate three to four percent per year, but some homes perform much better than others. Realtor.com analyzed millions of listings over the past five years and spotted the following trends:
- Homes smaller than 1,200 square feet appreciated an average of 7.5 percent per year for the past five years. Homes larger than 2,400 square feet appreciated about 3.8 percent per year.
- Two-bedroom homes appreciated 6.6 percent while five-bedroom homes appreciated 4.3 percent.
- Open floor plans appreciated 7.4 percent per year, beating out other features such as a patio (6.8 percent), hardwood floors (5.7 percent), fireplace (5.3 percent), and finished basement (4.6 percent).
- Modern and contemporary architectural styles rose 7.7 percent per year, beating bungalows (6.5 percent) and traditional homes (5.6 percent).
- Homes overlooking a park appreciated 7.9 percent per year, outperforming homes with a mountain view (5.1 percent) and lake homes (4.9 percent).